specifically: peppermint ice cream, peppermint bark, and candy canes! it's a shame most of this stuff is available once a year...especially the ice cream! reasons why peppermint ice cream rules? first of all, it's PINK. and peppermint flavored. and it has little candy cane bits mixed in. i could live on peppermint things for the rest of my life (well, maybe not, but you get the idea).
2. christmas music
actually, i'm getting tired of some of the songs (ahem. i do not like hearing 'it's the most wonderful time of year' in every single store i walk into)...but i do have a pretty awesome christmas mix that i whip out every years! standards, jazz, and even alternative. my favorites (now don't laugh)?
- 'all i want for christmas is you' (mariah carey)
- 'last christmas' (jimmy eat world)
- 'baby, it's cold outside' (any version except jessica simpson's! urgh)
- 'winter wonderland (phantom planet)
- 'christmas wrapping' (spice girls)
- 'season of a lifetime' (plain white t's)
- 'all my bells are ringing' (lenka)
- 'everybody's waitin' for the man with the bag' (kay starr)
- 'let it snow' (ella fitzgerald)
3. 'how the grinch stole christmas' and 'a christmas story'
it's just not the same if i don't watch these at least once during the holidays! when it comes to 'the grinch', i prefer dr. seuss's good 'ol cartoony version from the 1960s over the modern one with jim carey. his rendition of the grinch just freaks me out.
'a christmas story' is a classic too! and TBS always has that marathon on christmas eve where they run it for 24 hours, which is just perfect. it never fails to make me laugh.
4. decorating the christmas tree
i made a big fat bow out of this ribbon my mom bought to put on top of the (fake) tree. i miss real christmas trees, but my parents got the artificial one a few years ago. sad. i still get a kick out of putting all the ornaments up and stuff though.
5. wrapping presents
no, seriously. i get really into it. pretty wrapping paper and lots of ribbons and bows (of course). i should've gotten the wrapping stuff from ikea, like i did a couple of years ago:
my presents turned out really nice that year! i was a bit lazier this year. and i didn't have as many presents to wrap...so no pictures.
okay, i honestly thought my list would be longer. i would add 'snow', but who am i kidding? it rarely snows here in southern california.
what are some of your favorite things about this time of year?